Repurposing deli foods is a great way to save time and prevent food from going bad. For some people packing a lunch to work or school every day can become tiresome as it adds yet another task to the daily to do list. The solution is often to buy food from the deli section at your local supermarket. Some stores, like Choppies stores, even give you different cuisines for instance Indian and Chinese food. All you have to do is add a few fresh elements, like vegetables, to create an entirely new meal.
Here are a two helpful quick meals you can throw together using Choppies deli foods to save time and to prevent food wastage.
- 200g Deli rice
- 1 egg
- 1 red pepper (small cubes)
- 1 green pepper (small cubes)
- Frozen peas (optional)
- 2 tbsp. oil
- Beat egg, season with salt and pepper before setting aside
- In a large pan, add oil and allow to heat. Once the oil heats up add the rice. Stir -fry for about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add the peas, red and green peppers into the rice to fry. Continuously stir the rice for another 3 minutes. Season rice as desired.
- After the 3 minutes, push the rice to one side of the pan and add the egg mixture. Leave the mixture to set (about 10-15 seconds). Use the spatula to finely scramble the egg and incorporate into the rice. Further stir-fry for about a minute more.
- Serve immediately.
Fried Chicken Salad
- Fried Chicken strips / Fried Chicken(CFC)
- Green salad (from deli section)
- Fresh lettuce
- Fresh cucumber
- Fresh tomatoes
- ½ block of cheddar cheese
- Shred about 1/3 of the lettuce, rinse and set aside.
- If you have whole fried chicken pieces, shred the chicken. If you got chicken strips, even better. Cut the chicken into small bite size pieces.
- From the green salad, pick out the tomato, onion and tomato. Set aside.
- Slice the fresh cucumber and tomato as you see fit.
- Cut the cheddar cheese into cubes (desired size).
- Toss the cheese cubes, chicken, tomato and cucumber together with the lettuce.
- Dress the salad with a dressing of your choice and serve.